Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Short Term Exposure Trip (STET) Zambia

What is it like to be preparing for a short term mission exposure trip? I have been talking to people preparing to be volunteers in mission for a number of years, as I conduct a pre-service training session on activities to do with children with very few resources. Now I'm about to find out whether in fact I know what I've been talking about, or not!

It IS a fantastic opportunity, especially as I have been supporting Fiona Dixon-Thompson (UCA Volunteer in Mission) for some years now by telling her story and promoting specific projects to assist her work. I first meet Fiona when she was doing her pre-service training. She was a participant in the first children's activities session I conducted. To see first-hand the work she is doing and to make some small contribution myself is both awe-inspiring and challenging. I'm sure I'll come back with a totally different understanding of what Fiona faces each day, and much better prepared to assist her and other Volunteers in Mission in the future. In-the-field experience will enable me to promote with much greater understanding and credibility the work of people like Fiona, through pre-service training and stories and projects, and to encourage adults to involve children in the mission of our church. – Marni