Sunday, July 03, 2005

Emma in Romania

Emma (SA) and four O.T. students from Adelaide are currently in Romania. Emma is supervising them in O.T. work experience at the hospital where Emma served in a volunteer placement in 2003. She writes:

"I have enjoyed catching up with old friends here. In many ways it is as though I never left. Work in the hospital has been interesting this week. There used to be 3 doctors in neurology, but one has just up and left and the other has been at a conference this week, so that has left the head of the department who is neither seen nor heard of much at all, so I don't know what happens to patients from a medical point of view. I have been really very pleasantly surprised though by the positive reception of nursing staff on Neurology. They have been very happy for us to read the medical notes (my Romanian has improved, except when it's combined with doctor's writing) and the ones who speak English have been happy to translate for us. The general appearance of the ward and its smell has not improved and the general concensus of all I have spoken with has been that the hospital is in the worst financial situation it has ever been in with not even enough food for patients. I saw the cleaner on the ward, Sylvia, who was a lady I knew last time and it was so good to see her again - she is a real character. Her English is excellent - all self taught and she seems to do more for the patients than the nurses do sometimes! She always says good bye by saying "See you soon, Baboon!"

Onto a different note, our accommodaton here is great. Each of us (the students and I) all have separate rooms in the big ACASA centre, which is otherwise almost empty (closed due to the withdrawal of funding). The view to Zalau and over the mountains is quite beautiful. Because the centre is closed, we have free reign of the big industrial kitchen and laundry. I have been impressed with the students' cooking abilities, so we have had some lovely meals here. The five of us are like a family in many ways. I am definitely the mum of the group though and I have to admit that I do get exhausted by the responsibility because, naturally they are currently quite reliant on me.

Even though there do seem to have been quite a few things go not as well as I had hoped, I am really blown away by the number of times there have been some blessings in disguise. I know that I would not be coping so well if I didn't have my faith to hold on to. I think I am really being supported by people's thoughts and prayers and to know that I have someone looking over me is incredibly reassuring.

Much love to yu all, Love Emma