Monday, August 14, 2006

Tamara (SA) - first posting from Malaysia

I've been in Malaysia over a week now and I'm trying to adjust to the hot and humid weather. The land is so beautiful here with green jungle vegetation and palm trees everywhere where there are no buildings. The people are really lovely and open, and I am enjoying the mix of cultures and religions.

After a long day of travelling last Saturday I stayed in KL with an Indian family that night. The next morning I experienced a Tamil church service that went for more than four hours. The city was so busy and overwhelming so I was grateful for their help in finding the bus to get to Bethany Home, a school for children with intellectual and physical disabilities.

I am gradually adjusting to the different food and language...I will have to improve my Malay but it is so useful to know some simple words with the children. I am helping in classrooms, with swimming lessons and with work skills. I have been lucky to visit the homes of some friends I have met here already for birthday parties, and done some shopping in the nearby town Teluk Intan. The night market is also great - pasar malam - full of food, smells and people.

For more information about People in Mission, contact Kathy Periera, People in Mission Coordinator, Ph 02 8267 4230, kathyp@nat.uca.org.au