Thursday, August 10, 2006

Neil's reflections (WA)


(Photo is of Neil - centre, back row, dark shirt, with friends from Australia and the Bishop in Madras, Rt Rev Dr V. Devasahayam and Professor Cornelius, Ecumenical Relations, Diocese of Madras)
Neil (WA) served as a Volunteer in Mission in South India in 2005. He reflects:
Last year I had the honour of spending four and a half months in a town called Chenglapattu in South India. It is a satellite of Chennai, two hours south on the main highway. As a volunteer, I taught English at two schools in the early mornings and some evenings at a boy's hostel. I lived with a pastor who redefined for me the meaning of 'fired up' and 'passionate disciple'. I met people who reshaped my Christian walk. India was by far the best and most challenging experience of my life so far. I returned to Australia exhausted about six months ago. I arrived shattered by my wrestle with being in India - the daily heart-aching yet strangely dignified poverty, swirling crowds, clashing smells, the assault of colours, the spices and the smorgasbord of spirituality. Still I can taste my anger at my inability to communicate effectively, the shock of loneliness and the uncomfortableness of feeling profoundly out of place.
I have discovered, months later, that a piece of India had survived through customs - a tiny sliver of it has been lodged in my soul. Like a storm, it has lifted my soul and swirled it all around while I rediscovered how to live in the lucky country.
I have found the last six months of readjustment difficult. Which is not to say I have not had support. UIM has been fantastic and I have received a lot of support from some key people; some very patient people who have been a crutch when I have needed one, and a spur when I needed that too.

First printed by WA Synod August 2006
(for information about People in Mission, contact Kathy Periera, People in Mission Coordinator, Ph 02 8267 4230, kathyp@nat.uca.org.au)